Saturday, May 16, 2020

Cookies Anyone?

In keeping with one of my earlier posts, something else that is making me happy in the midst of quarantine is swapping recipes with friends and actually being able to try out these new recipes. We’ve had lots of fun new dinners and yummy baked goods over the past few weeks and quite a few more in the queue to try out.

In that spirit, I thought a Saturday blog post would be a great time to share a recipe! This is not a new recipe but one that my mom has made for a long time. It sounds a little strange at first glance, but it is a family favorite for us. And if you’re like me and have accidentally ended up with way too many Honey Nut Cheerios in your grocery order, then this is a great way to use them!

Honey Crunch Cookies

Ingredients
1 c. granulated sugar
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. margarine or butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
4 c. Honey Nut Cheerios cereal
2 c. plain flour
1 c. regular or quick-cooking oats
½ c. chopped walnuts* 
½ c. flaked coconut
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt

*To me, nuts are always optional in a recipe, because I do not like nuts in my baked goods!
**I also sometimes add butterscotch chips, which I think is a pretty yummy addition (if you like butterscotch).

Directions
Mix sugars, margarine/butter, vanilla, and eggs in a large bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients. Drop by ¼ cupfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten each ball to 2 ½ to 3 inches in diameter. Bake at 350 for 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown. 

Makes about 2 dozen cookies.

Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. How would these be with regular Cheerios? We don't have honey nut which is why we still have at least half a box that's probably stale.

    ReplyDelete