Monday, April 6, 2020

Holy Spirit Ear-worms

Do you ever wake up with a song replaying in your head? You may have heard this referred to as an "ear-worm" - when a song gets in and you just cannot get it out. Usually for me it’s a song from Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood or the theme song to Paw Patrol – something that I hear on a regular basis, so it makes sense that it would be replaying in my head. But, two nights ago I woke up in the middle of the night with a song in my head that I haven’t heard or sung in years. It’s a simple hymn that the church where I grew up used to use as a way to transition into the prayers of the people in worship; and these are the words:

I cast all my cares upon You
I lay all of my burdens down at Your feet
And any time that I don’t know what to do
I will cast all my cares upon You

I have no idea why or how this song made its way into my head, but I think it may have been a little Holy Spirit movement. As a result of its position as an ear-worm, it sort of became my prayer throughout the day. With anxiety and fear swirling all over right now, it was a nice little reminder that we don’t carry our worry or our burdens alone; and I hope it will be that for you as well. 

If you’d like to listen to a version of this song (albeit a version with a bit more pizazz than the one sung in my Presbyterian church), click here.

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE that hymn! Thanks for the reminder of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pertinent to these days ! Thanks Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely and timely! Thanks Sarah, Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remember and apply these short words daily, will lead us live a peaceful and anxious free life.amazing!Lily

    ReplyDelete